1) As Scarlett Johansson rightly stated, Black Widow’s history is rich, and steeped with great stories to tell. As a spy, she has been involved in so many organisations, and this has been touched on by the MCU, which uses her as a bridge to connect HYDRA and the Red Programme, The Winter Soldier and SHIELD. Exploring her past in a more comprehensive manner would have the advantage of revealing her associations to each, as well as weaving a complex web of relations.
2) Natasha Romanoff is a Russian woman. To have her star as a protagonist would be a huge leap for Marvel, as characters of non-American ethnicity, when featured, are generally played as villains or thugs, rather than with heroic story arcs. This is superbly illustrated by the fact that the woman that Marvel has picked up to title the first solo superheroine film is Carol Danvers, a white American woman with a military background, despite Natasha’s pre-existence as a popular MCU character.
3) The Black Widow is very popular (and the lone Marvel superheroine). She has an avid and dedicated following, who would be more than willing to watch and applaud a solo film, as seen from demonstrations, tweets and general comments made since Natasha Romanoff first appeared on the big screen. Furthermore, there is no disagreement from higher levels such as Kevin Feige. It would be a very easy sell.
4) There are already fanmade title sequences and trailers of the film! Beautifully made, one has tricked many an unsuspecting Marvel fan that a Black Widow film was on the table. In fact, given the quality of the trailer, if the film was made, it might outstrip the rest of Marvel’s creations so far. Additionally, there’s no shortage of actor, writer and director enthusiasm – a treatment of the film was written back in 2010, and many celebrities have been quoted as saying that they’d be on board with the enterprise.
5) If a movie were to be made, it would give audiences the added pleasure of potentially delving into Hawkeye and Bucky Barnes’ histories as well, uncovering more backstory and spy shenanigans.
Reasons 6-500) Natasha Romanoff is one badass lady, and on top of that, she is a chameleon. She evolves, constantly. Wouldn’t it be awesome to watch those metamorphoses on screen? (the answer is a resounding YES).
The New Zealand military doesn’t really see any intra-national combat – they’re sent out on UN peacekeeping missions, and for overseas tours instead. As such, they don’t require Humvees, as far as I’m aware.
This is unfortunate, because of this extremely difficulty GIsHWHeS task:
VIDEO. Let’s see a military cargo helicopter hoist a Humvee into the air. On the Humvee is a banner that reads, “GISHWHES does the heavy lifting.”
That’s right! Not only do you need the necessary connections for this task, you also need to somehow convince the military to use up a lot of fuel and money in order to do something for no apparent reason… except for the fact that GIsHWHeS overlord Misha has dictated it be so.
Does anyone out there happen to miraculously, a) know about this blog and b) have the ability to do this task? If so, I would REALLY appreciate it if you could contact me before the week is up!
– Let’s Call Me Lily
Imagine a pithy remark that lets you know that no, my brain is just as toast as it was last time I wrote an apology post (I think they might outnumber my regular posts by now), and makes you forgive me and prepares you for a pretty outrageous demand.
Thanks :) I’m sure you came up with something great!
This year, I am participating in GIsHWHeS as an official team member!! (HOORAY BUT I MUST BE MAD)
What is GIsHWHeS? Well, it gets described in various ways, but the short and kale of it is:
The Greatest International Scavenger Hunt The World Has Ever Seen:
Gishwhes is a massive global scavenger Hunt that is part silliness, part art, part kindness and 100% fun.
It’s a 5-time Guinness World Record breaking scavenger hunt hosted by Misha Collins. Tens of thousands of participants from more than 100 countries join up to 15-person teams and for one week, through laughter, sweat and tears (of joy of course), they acquire Items on an insanely long and death2normalcy scavenger hunt list. The team that scavenges the most items with the highest quality of submissions joins Misha Collins on an all-expenses paid trip to an exotic locale (which sounds pretty abnosome, right? Right.)
The best thing about this hunt is that profits go towards RandomActs Charity – GIsHWHeS is it’s single largest donor – and many of the items are all about the community and being kind. They also require a lot of networking, making new friends, and having lots of courage to strut around in peanut buitter and feathers asking for hugs :)
So, I have an ENORMOUS favour to ask.
During the next week, I may post here, asking for help in some way for an item that requires it. It will be fun, and possibly weird and probably a bit crazy. I would really appreciate it if you could lend an arm, or a foot (as required) if you possibly can. I do not have a hamster to dress up as Ariel the little mermaid, but YOU might (for example). It would be AMAZING if anyone did manage to help out, as that’s the entire spirit of GIsHWHeS – spreading the kindness and crazy around :D
-Let’s call me Lily
P.S. This is also a warning that you might see some random content from me in the next week. You have been warned :)
It’s for something abnosome, after all!
P.P.S. Unfortunately due to judging requirements etc, we can’t reveal any items while doing the Hunt, only after all teams have been judged. This takes a while. But you will eventually see the results of my crazy week.